Burrier Road (various landslips)
Burrier Road was severely impacted in July 2020 (2 x landslips), followed by the February and June 2022 weather events (4 x landslips). Temporary road maintenance and changes to lane widths with some sections being reduced to a single lane have been undertaken.
- Public access
Burrier Road, Burrier 2540
- Last reviewed
18 January 2023
22/12/2022 - Preferred contractor for Stage 2 repairs has been identified.
About the works
22/12/2022 - Four (4) tenders for the repair of thirty-eight (38) major landslip sites were received. A comprehensive evaluation process has been completed of all tenders. A report outlining the recommended tender has now been forwarded to NSW Public Work Advisory (PWA) for their endorsement. It is anticipated that PWA will have evaluated the tender acceptance report and responded back to Council mid-January. Further information can be found on the Master Project Page Severe weather events reconstruction work - 2022 | Shoalhaven City Council (nsw.gov.au)
The August 2020 Storms and flood natural disaster event AGRN923 brought the worst flooding the region has seen in 30 years with almost 400mm of rain falling in four days and causing damages I 170 locations to Councils assets. Burrier Rd sustained various damage in 7 locations. Of this damage, there were two landslips impacting on Burrier Rd that required one lane of the road to be closed while repair options were investigated, designed and construction work tendered out
The March 2022 AGRN1012 and the September 2022 severe weather natural disaster events event again caused significant damages across the Shoalhaven LGA including 98 landslips affecting local public roads managed by Shoalhaven City Council. Of this damage, 38 landslips were recognised as “moderate to major “and have been packed up as one large project to have the design documented by specialist consultants SLR and to be tendered out for construction by specialist contractors
Of this package of work, four landslips are along Burrier Rd. This brings the total number of landslips affecting Burrier Rd to six (6)
Stage 1 landslip repair – 2 x landslips
Stage 1 landslip repair involves the repair of two landslips caused by the August 2020 storm and flood natural disaster events
The location of these landslip are:
- Rural address 446 - Chainage 3500m
- Rural address 446 (Skyline) – Chainage 3560m
Both of these landslips were re-damaged by the two rainfall events in 2022 and as a result, construction work ceased whilst the repair work was re-designed
Stage 2 landslip repairs – 4 x landslips
Stage 2 landslip repairs involve the repair of four landslips caused by the February and June 2022 storms and flood natural disaster events
The location of these landslip are at road chainages:
- Rural Address 107 - Chainage 540 to 920m
- Rural Address 446 - Chainage 3320 to 3340m
- Rural Address 446 - Chainage 3640 to 3900m
- Rural Address 691 - Chainage 5780 to 6420m
The repair of these landslip is part of the 38 major landslip package tender issued for public tender on 31 October 2022 and closing on 6th December 2022
Stage 1 – 2 x landslips – August 2020 rainfall event
Chainage 3500 to 3560m (Skyline) – Rural address 446
- Geotechnical investigations and design for permanent repair complete
- Disaster Recovery Funding approved for construction
- Construction Tender awarded 17 March 2022
- The design had to be changed due to deteriorating site condition which has resulted in delay of construction works.
- This has also resulted in major variation cost which is under assessment.
- Additional funding approval is required to cover variation cost.
- Works on site was anticipated to commence in November 2022 once variation is finalised and addition funds approved.
- Anticipated construction commencement date February 2023
- Anticipated construction completion date May 2023
Stage 2 – 4 x landslips – February and June 2022 rainfall events
Chainage 540 to 920m – Rural Address 107
Chainage 3320 to 3340m – Rural Address 446
Chainage 3640 to 3900m – Rural Address 446
Chainage 5780 to 6420m – Rural Address 691
- 01/09/2022 - Design work was completed.
- 31/10/2022 - Public tenders for construction called.
- 06/12/2022 - Tender submissions closed. Four tenders received. Tender evaluations commenced.
- 22/12/2022 - Tender evaluation completed. Tender evaluation report submitted to PWA for review and endorsement.
- 01/01/2023 - Tender recommendation by PWA to Council expected.