The Shoalhaven public stormwater system handles stormwater from road reserves, parks, drainage reserves, drainage easements and some private properties.

Our stormwater infrastructure includes:

  • Pits
  • Pipes
  • Channels
  • Detention basins
  • Kerbs and gutters
  • Gross Pollutant Traps
  • Bio-retention basins
  • Other water quality devices

The public stormwater system discharges to several catchment areas that drain in creeks, rivers and lakes within the Shoalhaven.

What about stormwater quality?

Rainfall runoff from your roof and land collects on driveways, roads and footpaths and flows from saturated gardens, fields and subdivision sites into the Council’s stormwater system and out into the various creek, rivers and lakes in the Shoalhaven.

Along the way it crosses different surfaces and can collect various pollutants such as sediment, exposed soil, oil and grease from driveways and roads, leaves and animal manure from gutters, and chemicals from gardens.

All this exposure to contamination means that stormwater can harm the quality of water and damage the ecosystems in our creeks, rivers and lakes.

What are my responsibilities?

Stormwater runoff can sometimes be an issue for residents due to Shoalhaven’s climate and hilly topography.

It’s important to manage stormwater on your land to avoiding damaging your neighbour’s property as well as your own.

You are responsible for maintaining stormwater pipes, gutters, downpipes, gully pits and any other component of a drainage system related to your house or any other structure on the premises (shed, garage etc.).

All these elements need to be in good condition and comply with Council requirements. This includes any connection to the city stormwater system.

To avoid damaging your own or a neighbour's property, you must make sure that your property’s stormwater system is connected to a legal point of discharge. This can be either to the public drainage system (including kerb and gutter) or an interallotment drainage system (within dedicated easements).

If you are redirecting and/or concentrating stormwater flows on your property, you need to collect them and direct them to a legal point of discharge. It is very important that stormwater must not be connected to the sewer and is an offence.

If stormwater is running onto your property from a neighbour's property this is considered a private matter and not a matter for Council.

A Section 68 approval of the Local Government Act 1993 may be required to carry out stormwater drainage work and connecting a private drain with a Council controlled public drain.

For more information about:

Report blockages or request maintenance

Council carry out regular maintenance work on the stormwater system. Generally, Council cleans pits and pipes on a regular schedule.

We regularly inspect other components, such as pipes and channels, and clean them when necessary.

To report a blockage or request maintenance:

Frequently asked questions

When will Council take action?

Council investigates and acts on stormwater drainage complaints only where the flow or surface water from one property across the common land boundary onto another property, and all the following criteria are met:

  • Evidence confirms the surface water has caused or is likely to cause physical damage to land or building on the other land
  • Surface water has been directed to and/or concentrated in a particular area by a man-made structure or drain
  • Surface water is the result of defective roof drainage from a dwelling or outbuilding

Let us know if you have any stormwater concerns that occur on private property.

Report online

How do I report a stormwater drainage issue?

When you report a stormwater drainage issue on private land include these details:

  • Describe what is happening
  • When it happened and on how many past occasions it has happened
  • If you have contacted Council about the issue previously
  • What is the source on the neighbouring land that is causing the problem
  • Describe how your land and/or building are being damaged and if possible, include a written report from a suitabley qualified person stating the land or building is likely to or is being damaged
  • Have you obtained professional advice as to the source of the stormwater issue
  • Have you liaised with your neighbour to address this matter
  • Take photos of the stormwater problem as it is occurring
  • Have you sought advice or initiated mediation with your neighbour through the Community Justice Centre

Stormwater is running onto my property from a neighbour's property. What should I do?

Discuss the matter with your neighbour and work together to find a mutually acceptable solution.

This is a private matter and not a matter for Council.

I have a sloping block. What surface water am I responsible for?

If you’re a resident living on a sloping site, you should be aware that natural surface run off flows down the slope following the contours of the block.

Unless the cause of the surface water meets the above criteria, you have the responsibility to install surface water controls.

Any diversion of surface water must be carried out in a way that doesn’t have a detrimental impact on any other properties further down the slope.

What do I do about seepage water?

Seepage water is the responsibility of individual property owners.

Where sloping blocks have been excavated to obtain a flat yard or building site, seepage drains should be constructed to redirect water to a stormwater drainage system. You should liaise with neighbours to address any problems.

If possible, drainage easements can be created to direct water to a Council stormwater drainage system.

How do I resolve disputes?

If you wish to formally manage discussions, you may consider contacting the Community Justice Centre. They offer free advice and mediation services about stormwater running onto property from a neighbour's property.

This service is only for private matters.

Contact Community Justice Centre on:

All other matters should come to Council.

Submit a report to us:

Who can I contact if my property is flooding?

If you are affected by flooding on private property go to: