Find out about subdivision approval and compliances and what you need to do.

Do I need approval?

Yes, you need approval for a subdivision. 

You may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application – see below for more information.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

Complying Development Certificate may be issued for your Subdivision for land zoned if the proposal meets all the relevant development standards. 

You can use the Subdivisions Code to check whether your proposal is complying development. 

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a Development Application (DA). What do I do?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application with Council.

Only some land has subdivision potential.

Council’s LEP 2014, DCP’s and policies set down minimum lot sizes and other requirements for subdivision.

The ability to subdivide land is contingent on many factors including, but not limited to, size, drainage, access and services.

Due to the complexity involved Council recommends engaging a suitable professional to assist in understanding the requirements for Subdivision and to assist in preparing your application. Council staff are not able to offer a consultancy service.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.