Secondary Dwellings (Granny Flats)

A secondary dwelling differs from a dual occupancy as they are generally smaller and cannot be subdivided from the principal dwelling.

Do I need approval?

Yes, you need approval for a secondary dwelling.

You may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application – see below for more information.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

Complying Development Certificate may be issued for your Secondary Dwelling for land zoned R1, R2, R3, R4 if the proposal meets all of the relevant development standards. 

You can use the State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009 to check whether your proposal is a complying development.

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a Development Application (DA). What do I do?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application with Council.

Secondary Dwellings are permissible under land zoned R1, R2, R3, R4 and R5.

The total floor area of the dwelling (excluding any area used for parking) must not exceed whichever of the following is the greater:

(a)  60 square metres,

(b)  60% of the total floor area of the principal dwelling.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.