Installing a Swimming Pool or Spa

Find out what approval is required before your swimming pool or spa construction commences.

Do I need approval?

Yes, you need approval for a swimming pool or spa that contains more than 2000L of water.

You may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application – see below for more information.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

Complying Development Certificate may be issued for your Swimming Pool for land zoned if the proposal meets all the relevant development standards. 

You can use the Housing Code (Part 3, Division 4, Subdivision 4) to check whether your proposal is complying development. The individual clause should be read in conjunction with all of Part 3.

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a Development Application (DA). What do I do?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application with Council.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.