Dwellings & Additions

Find the type of approval you need to start your new dwelling build or to make an addition to an existing dwelling on your property.

If you are planning on building a project home, see the Department of Planning and Environment myHome Planner  for an end to end home building guide to help you research, plan and design you new project home.

Do I need approval?

Yes, you need approval for a new dwelling or an addition to an existing dwelling.

You may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application – see below for more information.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

Complying Development Certificate may be issued for a new dwelling or an addition to an existing dwelling in Zones R1, R2, R3, R4 or RU5 zones if the proposal meets all of the relevant development standards.

You can use the Housing Code to check whether your proposal is a complying development. 

For land zoned RU1, RU2, RU3, RU4, RU6 and R5 refer to the Rural Housing Code.

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a Development Application (DA). What do I do?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application with Council.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.