Before constructing a driveway, you need to attain a permit to undertake construction.

Do I need approval?

Yes. Approval for driveways is broken into two phases:

1. Approval for the driveway itself

The portion of the driveway / parking area constructed on your land may require development approval. Some driveways may classify as ‘exempt development’ under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 – Subdivision 14 Driveways and hard stand spaces.

If your driveway does not meet the requirements of the Exempt Development codes, you will need to lodge a Development Application

 2. Approval to work in the road reserve  

The portion of the driveway between the edge of the road and your property boundary needs approval from Council under Section 138 of the Roads Act 1993.

As you or your contractor will be working in a public road, Council has obligations to ensure this work is being done safely and to an acceptable standard.

As part of your Section 138 application, you will need to submit:

  • Traffic and Pedestrian Control Plan prepared by a person holding a current SafeWork ‘Prepare a work zone Traffic Management Plan’ accreditation
  • Evidence of Public Liability Insurance held to a minimum value of $20 Million
  • Plans of the proposed works – see Council’s Standard Drawings

3. How to apply

I need a Development Application (DA). What do I do?

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.

View more details:

All driveways that are constructed within the road reserve (verge) require a Section 138 approval. 

For more information view:

  • Development HUB (please refer to the headings below)
    • Work in the road reserve - applying with a DA
    • Work in the road reserve - making a separate application