Building Alterations (Residential)

Find what type of building alterations are exempt and what building alterations need approval, and how you can lodge a Development Application (DA) with Council.

You will also find the forms you need.

Do I need approval?

You will not need approval if the proposed building alterations meet all of the relevant development standards for exempt development.

Specific information about minor building alterations can be accessed here:

View more details:

If the proposal doesn't qualify as Exempt Development, you may be able to apply through Complying Development or a Development Application – see below for more information.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

Complying Development Certificate may be issued for residential building alterations if the proposal meets all of the relevant development standards. 

Check if your proposal is a complying development at:

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a Development Application (DA). What do I do?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application with Council.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.