Balconies, Decks, Patios, Pergolas, Terraces & Verandahs

You will find advice about development approval, exempt development, and complying development certificates for balconies, decks, patios, pergolas, terraces and verandahs here.

Also, what to do if you need a Development Application.

Do I need approval?

You will not need approval if the proposed balcony, deck, patio, pergola, terrace or verandah meet all the relevant development standards for exempt development.

Specific information about your balcony, deck, patio, pergola, terrace or verandah can be accessed here:

View more details:

If the proposal doesn't qualify as exempt development, you may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application – see below for more information.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

Complying Development Certificate may be issued for your balcony, deck, patio, pergola, terrace or veranda for land zoned R1, R2, R3, R4 or RU5 if the proposal meets all of the relevant development standards. 

You can use the Housing Code to check whether your proposal is complying development. The individual clause should be read in conjunction with the Part.

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a Development Application (DA). What do I do?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application with Council.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.