Pensioner Concession

Ratepayers who hold a pensioner concession card and meet the criteria may be eligible for a reduction on their Rates and Water accounts.

Here are the answers to our most frequently asked questions about Pensioner Concessions.

Does Council give me a concession on my Rates and Water if I have a pension card?

If you are the owner of the property and the property is your sole or principal residence you may be eligible for a pension rebate on your Rates and Water if you:

  1. Have a current pensioner concession card issued from Centrelink, or
  2. Have a current gold card from Department of Veterans' Affairs that meets the below criteria for DVA card holders

And if I am a Department of Veterans' Affairs cardholder?

You must also meet one of the following:

  • You are a widow or widower of a member of the Australian Defence or Peacekeeping Forces*, or
  • You are the unmarried mother of a deceased unmarried member of either of those forces*, or
  • You are a widowed mother of a deceased unmarried member of either of those forces*, or
  • You are Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI) under the Veterans' Entitlement Act, 1986, or
  • You receive a general rate of pension adjusted for extreme disablement (EDA) under section 22 (4) of the Veterans’ Entitlement Act 1986 of the Commonwealth, or a special rate of pension under section 24 of that Act, or
  • You receive a payment under S234(1)(b) of the Military Rehabilitation & Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) of the Commonwealth

*If you do not have a Pensioner Concession Card contact the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) on 133 254 to have your eligibility (subject to an income and asset test) assessed. Eligibility is subject to an income and assets test. If it is determined that you are eligible please request a confirmation letter from the DVA.

When does my Concession rate start and finish?

It starts:

  • If you become an eligible pensioner part way through the year and meet the above conditions, your rebate will commence from the beginning of the next quarter billing cycle.

It finishes:

  • Alternatively, if your pension concession ceases part way through the year your rebate will cease at the end of the current quarterly billing cycle.

Can my Concession be backdated?

  • Pension rebates are not granted for prior years
  • Retrospective applications will only apply to the current year

Is a Concession given to co-owners of property?

  • Persons applying for a rebate on a property with multiple owners will have their application assessed according to the eligible pensioners percentage of ownership.

How do I apply for a Pension Concession?

You need to include:

  • A photocopy of both sides of your pension card must be submitted with your application form

What reduction on my Rates and Water do I get as a pensioner?

As an eligible pensioner, you will receive:

  • Half of the total of your ordinary Rates and Domestic Waste Management Service charge, up to a maximum of $250.00
  • Half of your Water rates or charges, up to a maximum of $87.50
  • Half of your Sewerage rates or charges, up to a maximum of $87.50

Contact Us