Caravan Parks & Camping Grounds

Across the Shoalhaven we have 86 approved caravan park and camping ground businesses - the largest concentration of manufactured home estates, caravan parks and camping grounds in New South Wales.

Council is required to inspect each one annually to ensure they comply with the Local Government (Manufactured Home Estates, Caravan Parks, Camping Grounds and Moveable Dwellings) Regulation 2021.

Do I need approval to operate a caravan park, camping ground or manufactured home estate?


Caravan parks, camping grounds and manufactured home estates need approval under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act with operational approval required under the Local Government Act.

Do I need approval to install structures in a caravan park or camping ground?

On flood prone land 

If your caravan park is on flood prone land, yes. You will need to lodge an application for installation before undertaking any works.

Installation of relocatable homes, annexes or associated structures (i.e. any structure other than caravans, campervans or tents) to be installed on flood prone land requires prior approval of council.

Lodge your application online via the NSW Planning Portal

From 1 January 2021, we require lodgement of applications for approval to 'install a manufactured home, moveable dwelling or associated structure on land', 'operate a caravan park or camping ground' or 'operate a manufactured home estate' — in accordance with the Local Government Act, Section 68 — via the NSW Planning Portal. This change is in line with the NSW Government's plan for all councils to participate in their ePlanning platform for application lodgement.

If you would like guidance to complete your application, please contact the Environmental Services team on 1300 293 111.

 To search for the relevant council fees and charges, please go to our Fees & Charges page.

Lodge online via the NSW Planning Portal

On non flood prone land

All proposed works (installation of a Relocatable Home, Annexe or Associated Structure) require prior approval of the person appropriately delegated by the business owner; likely the park manager or business owner themself.

If your caravan park is not on flood prone land, the person appropriately delegated (park manager or business owner) is required to submit a completed ‘Notice of Installations’ form to council with the appropriate certification upon completion of works.

A notice of installations must be lodged with council seven (7) days after completion.

Download, complete and submit the ‘Notice of Installations’ form:

Installation of relocatable homes of more than one storey also requires the prior approval of council whether it is located on flood prone land or not.

Any installation will require compliance with the:

Contact Us