What to do when someone dies

Immediate assistance

If your loved one has died unexpectedly, outside of professional care, call 000.

If the death was anticipated, call their doctor. They will sign or arrange for a certificate that confirms the death.

If they died in aged care, at a hospital or in a hospice, you do not need to do anything. The staff will:

  • Arrange for a doctor to complete necessary documentation
  • Advise you about how long they can care for the body.


Step by step government assistance

The New South Wales Government has gathered step by step advice and information about what needs to be done following a death.



Along with payment and services support information, there are a number of mental health support services available to assist.

  • Beyondblue – 1300 22 4636
  • Lifeline – 13 11 14
  • Kids Helpline – 1800 551 800