Neighbourhood Noise

The quickest and cheapest way to try to fix a problem is to talk with your neighbour.

If the problem persists, contact a Community Justice Centre. The government-funded but independent organisation specialises in settling neighbour disputes without getting into lengthy or expensive legal processes. The process is free and has a high success rate.

A complaint can be made to Council if you are not able to resolve the problem. It is important to keep records of all relevant details, including action already taken and the offending property address. If you are affected by offensive noise, that an authorised officer cannot hear, you can seek a noise abatement order.

Managing neighbourhood noise

Some noise producing items have time limits on their use:

  • Power tools and equipment (e.g., powered garden tools such as lawn mowers and leaf blowers, chainsaws, circular saws, air compressors and swimming pool or spa pumps).
  • Motor vehicles (except when entering or leaving residential premises) Cannot be used before 7 am or after 8 pm on weekdays or before 8 am and after 8 pm on weekends and public holidays.
  • Musical instruments and electrically amplified sound equipment (e.g., radios, TVs, stereos) Cannot be heard before 7 am or after 10 pm on weekdays and before 8 am or after midnight on Friday, Saturday, or the day before a public holiday.
  • Air conditioners and heat-pump water heaters Cannot be heard before 7 am or after 10 pm on weekdays or before 8 am and after 10 pm on weekends and public holidays.

To understand how to resolve neighbourhood noise view:

How you can seek a noise abatement order view:

Noisy animals?

If you are impacted by noise from animals, you can lodge a complaint with Council:

Report a noise complaint

Before contacting Council, it’s important that you complete the noise diary log for a period of 10 days. The information you provide within the noise diary log will help us to give you the appropriate advice, which may also be used as evidence should we need to take any formal action on your behalf.

Council can only assist and take action on your behalf if the presence of offensive noise has been established. You must be willing to provide records and statements about the noise impacting you. We cannot investigate anonymous complaints.

Report Online

Contact Us