Draft Nowra CBD Urban Design Masterplan before Council
July 27, 2011
Shoalhaven City Council adopted the vision, objectives and principles contained in the draft Nowra CBD Urban Design Masterplan at last night’s Council meeting.
Developed through an extensive workshopping process, the draft Masterplan will guide strategies to revitalise the CBD over the next 25 years.
The draft Masterplan objectives include –
• Protect and expand the regional status of the town centre by limiting excessive coastal growth.
• Strengthen the association of the town centre with the Shoalhaven River.
• Activate the river precinct and encourage tourism opportunities through improved access.
• Reinforce Nowra’s future desired character through controls on height, mass and bulk in town centre.
• Create a town centre heart through improved civic facilities, open space, entertainment and leisure facilities.
• Integrate the traditional shopping centre with the retail facilities approved east of the Princes Highway.
Other items central to the draft Masterplan include the regeneration of Junction Court and the further investigation of car parking issues in the City Centre.
Shoalhaven City Council Mayor, Paul Green said the completed Masterplan would provide an important overarching vision for the Nowra CBD.
“The draft Masterplan is an extremely important document designed to help stimulate economic growth and achieve environmental sustainability within the Nowra CBD,” said Clr Green.
“The document will provide a framework, vision and strategic direction for future investigations and decisions relating to the City Centre.
“I would like to thank those residents that took the time to make have their say on the draft document. The next levels of planning can now occur.”
“It is very encouraging to see so many residents making submissions and putting forward their views on the strategies that will guide the CBD into the future.”
The draft Masterplan also encompasses the outcomes of a workshop held on the future of the Riverfront precinct and Nowra Pool.