This is the approval information you need to know before you begin construction of a garage.

Do I need approval?

Yes, you need approval for a garage.

You may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application – see below for more information.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

Complying Development Certificate may be issued for your garage for land zoned R1, R2, R3, R4 or RU5 if the proposal meets all of the relevant development standards. 

You can use the Housing Code to check whether your proposal is a complying development. 

For land zoned RU1, RU2, RU3, RU4, RU5, or RU6 refer to the Rural Housing Code.

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a Development Application (DA). What do I do?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application with Council.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.

Last updated on 28 June 2021