Find out about the demolition approval process, developments that are exempt, or if you qualify for a Complying Development Certificate or need to lodge a Development Application.

Do I need approval?

You will not need approval for demolition if:


  • It is not carried out on or in a heritage item or a draft heritage item or on or in a heritage conservation area or a draft heritage conservation area.

All work must be carried out in accordance with AS 2601 The Demolition of Structures.

Asbestos note:

  •  A building constructed before 1987 may contain asbestos. Proper maintenance, handling and disposal of asbestos waste is critical to avoid any potential risks. Information can be found on the NSW Environmental Protection Authority website.

Specific information about demolition can be accessed here:

  • Demolition (Part 2 - Division1 - Subdivision 13)

View more details:

If the proposal doesn't qualify as exempt development, you may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application – see below for more information.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

Complying Development Certificate may be issued for your Demolition if the proposal meets all of the relevant development standards. 

You can use the Demolition Code (Part 7) to check whether your proposal is complying development.

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a Development Application (DA). What do I do?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application with Council.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.