Shoalhaven City Council will soon be issuing notices to local pet owners who have a dog or cat that is older than six months of age and not lifetime registered.
As a requirement of the NSW Companion Animals Act all dogs and cats over six months in age must be registered.
Council’s Unit Manager for Ranger Services, Michael Jarman said it was also a requirement that all dogs and cats were identified with a microchip by 12 weeks of age or prior to the animal being sold or given away (whichever occurs first).
“It is a legal requirement and also of vital importance that all cats and dogs living within the Shoalhaven are lifetime registered and microchipped,” said Mr Jarman. “Lifetime registration in NSW is a one-off payment and can be completed at Council’s administration offices in Nowra and Ulladulla.”
“Pet owners should be aware that their cat or dog needs to be microchipped by 12 weeks of age and then also registered at six months. A penalty notice can be issued for failing to register your animal or for failing to notify Council when your details have changed. This includes updating details if the animal changes address, changes ownership, goes missing or dies.”
Microchipping and registration is a two-part process which enables dogs and cats to be recorded on the NSW Companion Animals Register. The register is administered by all NSW councils on behalf of the State Government.
If a pet or pet owner’s circumstances change, information must be provided in writing to Council within:
- Fourteen days of any change to the registration details, that is if a pet owner moves or changes phone numbers or a dog or cat is adopted by someone else
- Twenty eight days of the dog or cat dying
- Four days of the dog or cat going missing
- Seven days of the dog being declared dangerous or revoking a dangerous dog declaration.
Fee schedule for NSW lifetime registration:
- Un-desexed dog/cat $195
- Desexed dog/cat $53
- Desexed dog/cat sold by eligible shelter not owned by Pensioner $26.50
- Desexed dog/cat owned by a pensioner $22
- Dog/cat owned by a recognised breeder $53
- Dog/cat owned as an Assistance Animal FREE
Residents can visit www.shoalhaven.nsw.gov.au/My-Property/Pet-ownership to view information on pet ownership and to download forms to update change of ownership and other details.
For more information on lifetime registration, contact Council’s Ranger Services on (02) 4429 3433.