Ratepayers who hold a pensioner concession card and can meet the criteria may be eligible for a reduction on their Rates and Water accounts.
Did you know that if you own a property and you have a current pensioner concession card issued from Centrelink, or a gold card from Department of Veterans' Affairs AND you reside at the property being your sole or principal residence you may be eligible for a pension rebate on your Rates and Water? Department of Veterans' Affairs cardholders must also meet one of the following:-
- You are a widow or widower of a member of the Australian Defence or Peacekeeping Forces**, or
- You are the unmarried mother of a deceased unmarried member of either of those forces**, or
- You are a widowed mother of a deceased unmarried member of either of those forces**, or
- You are a TPI under the Veterans' Entitlement Act, 1986, or
- You receive a general rate of pension adjusted for extreme disablement (EDA) under section 22 (4) of the Veterans’ Entitlement Act 1986 of the Commonwealth, or a special rate of pension under section 24 of that Act, or
- You receive a payment under S234(1)(b) of the Military Rehabilitation & Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) of the Commonwealth.
Please note: points highlighted with ** means that if you do not have a Pensioner Concession Card, you should contact the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) to test your eligibility for a Pensioner Concession Card which is subject to an income and assets test. Holders of cards other than those listed above are not eligible for the concession. For assistance from the DVA please call 133 254.
If you become an eligible pensioner part way through the year and meet the above conditions, your rebate will commence from the beginning of the next quarter billing cycle. Alternatively, if your pension concession ceases part way through the year your rebate will cease at the end of the current quarterly billing cycle.
Pension rebates will not be granted for prior years, retrospective applications will only apply to the current year.
Persons applying for a rebate on a property with multiple owners will have their application assessed according to the eligible pensioners percentage of ownership.
A Pensioner Rebate Application form can be completed at the Nowra or Ulladulla Administration Office during normal business hours or alternatively you can download the Pension Concession Application Form . (PDF 38kb)
Please note: A photocopy – both sides of your pension card, must accompany your application form. For all enquiries regarding pension concession rebates please contact a Council Rates Officer on (02) 4429 3210.
Return to top
As an eligible pensioner, you will receive:-
- Half of the total of your ordinary Rates and Domestic Waste Management Service charge, up to a maximum of $250
- Half of your Water rates or charges, up to a maximum of $87.50
- Half of your Sewerage rates or charges, up to a maximum of $87.50
Return to top