Shoalhaven City Council is advising residents Fire & Rescue NSW is planning to do two controlled burns along the Mahogany Creek bushland corridor at North Nowra on Wednesday, 18 of April. If the weather conditions aren’t suitable on that day, the burns will be rescheduled.
Each burn will take about four hours. We recommend you keep your windows and doors closed and remove washing from the line during this time. Embers can damage pool and boat covers as well as shade sails and outdoor furniture –items likely to be affected should be protected or moved out of harm’s way.Please read the information provided below from the NSW Rural Fire Service’s website about preparing for a hazard reduction burn near you.
- Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke entering homes
- Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns
- Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage
- Remove washing from clotheslines
- Ensure pets have a protection area
- If driving through smoke, vehicles should slow down, keep windows up and turn headlights on
- Sightseers must keep away from burns for their own safety
- If you have asthma or a lung condition, reduce outdoor activities if smoke levels are high.
- If shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice.
For health information relating to smoke from bushfires and hazard reduction burning visit the NSW Health website at http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/factsheets/Pages/bushfire-smoke.aspx or the Asthma Foundation website: https://www.asthmaaustralia.org.au/sa/about-asthma/manage-your-asthma/triggers/asthma-bushfire-smoke.
Please contact one of Council’s Bushfire Mitigation Officers on 4429 3111 for more information.