Banning Balloons > Shoalhaven City Council

Shoalhaven City Council News Feed

Banning Balloons

Shoalhaven City Council has joined Eurobodalla and Bega Valley Shire Councils in banning the release of balloons, after a notice of motion by Councillor John Levett was carried at Council’s reconvened Ordinary Meeting on Tuesday 4 April.

Council will impose a ban on the release of balloons at Council events and in Council managed reserves.

Council will now write to the Members for Kiama and South Coast to encourage them to introduce legislation to ban the use of helium to inflate balloons and to ban the release of balloons across New South Wales.

Additionally, Council will make a submission to the Federal Government Draft Threat Abatement Plan. This Plan looks at the impacts of marine debris on vertebrate marine species and mentions balloons.

Mayor Amanda Findley will also to introduce a Notice of Motion urging Environment Minister Josh Frydenberg to introduce similar bans at a National level, as Council’s Voting Delegate at the Australian Local Government Association 2017 National General Assembly.

Approximately 95% of released balloons burst in the atmosphere and litter small pieces of plastic to earth. The remaining 5% do not reach a high enough altitude to burst and instead can drift hundreds of kilometres before coming down on land or at sea.

Plastics are a massive problem for wildlife and this is one way that Council can help address the problem.

Posted in: Community
  • Banning Balloons

Get Involved Coastal Management Program – Stage 1, Scoping Study
Get Involved
Get Involved Lake Conjola Management Information
Get Involved
Get Involved Shoalhaven Australia Day Awards 2020
Get Involved
Get Involved Ward Boundary Adjustment
Get Involved

Newsletters

In Your Neighbourhood
Council's Weekly Email Newsletter
Neighbourhood News
Quarterly Rates Newsletter
Gumboot News
Council's River Floodplain Newsletter
Bushcare Email Newsletter
Council's Bushcare Volunteers Newsletter
Frontline News
Council's Coastal Management Email Newsletter

Meetings & Agendas

View all agendas and minutes for Council and Committee meetings.
Agendas & Minutes

Newsletter Signup

Signup for our In Your Neighbourhood newsletter and get news direct to your inbox!

© 2019 Shoalhaven City Council
Copyright  |   Privacy  |   Site Map