Council reminding residents to have their say on draft Budget
May 29, 2012
Shoalhaven City Council is calling on residents to have their say on the 2012/13 draft Budget and help identify any acceptable service reductions.
Council's draft Delivery Program and Operation Plan, including the 2012/13 Draft Budget, will remain on public exhibition until 5pm Thursday 14 June.
Shoalhaven City Council General Manager, Russ Pigg said he had been pleased with the amount of community comment received in the early stage of the exhibition period saying he was impressed with the level of engagement at the three public meetings.
“Over 70 local residents attended to the public meetings held throughout the city as part of the exhibition process,” said Mr Pigg.
“The meetings provided a great opportunity for members of the public to listen to Council staff explain some of the decisions in the budget and then take the opportunity to express a point of view or ask questions.
“The community members who attended the meetings raised a number of issues, specifically dealing with local infrastructure projects such as shared use pathways and the provision of individual amenities within towns and villages.”
“Further to this, the decision to spend a further $1 million on road renewal projects was broadly endorsed by those in attendance.”
Mr Pigg said it was extremely important that all local residents took the opportunity to read the draft Delivery Program and Operation Plan and make a submission.
“We need local residents to have their say and tell Council what services could be reduced in order to help balance the budget,” said Mr Pigg.
“Community members also need to tell us whether Council has prioritised its works to meet the needs of the community such as footpaths and road works and whether the community supports the projects in the Capital Works Program.
“The exhibition period was extended until 5pm Thursday 14 June following Council resolving to make a number of significant changes to the proposed 2012/13 Capital Works Program.”