Shoalhaven City Council has recently been awarded a “Heritage Activation Grant” for the Nowra CBD Historical Walk. The project was initiated by the Nowra CBD Revitalisation Committee who approached the Shoalhaven Historical Society with a proposal and funding to revamp the existing Nowra CBD Historical Walk with plaques and interpretive signage.
The grant funding of $30,751 from the “Heritage Near Me Program 2018-2019” from the New South Wales Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) will greatly assist the delivery of the project and adds to the existing funding of $4053 provided by the Nowra CBD Revitalisation Committee.
The joint project now includes the installation of interpretative signage and the development of digital content for OEH’s Heritage Near Me mobile app. This App will provide a digital interactive guide to support the physical trail and will showcase Nowra CBD to the wider community as it is linked from Visit NSW and other Government resources.
The Nowra CBD Historical Walk currently includes 27 heritage buildings/sites in the Nowra CBD starting at the Shoalhaven Visitor Information centre on Bridge Road and is a loop that visits Nowra’s Key heritage streets and buildings including:
- Berry Street – Nowra School of Arts and Roxy Cinema Complex (Inter-war Art Deco Style)
- Junction Street – Postman’s Tavern and other commercial buildings (Inter-war Art Deco and Victorian Style)
- Plunkett Street – Plunkett Street Heritage Conservation Area and heritage items including the former Rectory, All Saints Anglican Church, Nowra Public School, former Teacher’s Residence, Former Courthouse and Nowra Museum.
- Kinghorne Street – National Australia Bank and Presbyterian Church
- Moss Street – Victorian and Inter-war former residences
A Nowra CBD Historical Walk Working Party has been established from the Nowra CBD Revitalisation Committee. Council staff will be closely collaborating with the Working Party and the Shoalhaven Historical Society to deliver the project by 30 April 2019.
The Working Party will be hosting discussions with the owners/proprietors of the heritage items included in the Historical Walk in the coming months to determine the sympathetic location of signage and plaques be incorporated at each site.
This is an exciting opportunity to really showcase the historical and architectural character of our town.
** End **
MEDIA CONTACT: Nowra CBD Revitalisation Committee Member Scott Baxter
0412 485 555