Mayor, Gash hand delivers official Royal Tour invitation
January 24, 2014
Shoalhaven City Council Mayor, Joanna Gash has today hand delivered the official invitation to have the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge tour the area this April.
The Mayor joined Council Tourism Manager, Steve Lawson in delivering the invitation to the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet in Canberra earlier this morning.
Mayor, Gash said today’s delivery of the official invitation and proposed itinerary represented a significant milestone in the area’s bid to have the Royal couple visit the area.
The Mayor said that while it was impossible to tell she believed the area was in with a very good chance of playing host to the Duke and Duchess.
“I have been completely overwhelmed by the level of support the Royal tour invitation has received from the local community,” said Clr Gash.
“What this invitation has unearthed, is a tremendous feeling of community spirit and overwhelming pride within the City.
“It has been fantastic to hear so many local residents coming forward with different reasons as to why the couple should visit the area.”
“Shoalhaven residents are extremely proud to live in such an amazingly diverse and unique area and are viewing the upcoming Royal tour as an opportunity to let the world in our little secret.”
Mayor, Joanna Gash said that she had been delighted to see the area’s invitation launch receive widespread national and international media coverage.
“The initial response to Council’s bid to host the Royal couple has been remarkable,” said Clr Gash.
“The story has received coverage across Australia, throughout the United Kingdom, the United States, France and many other countries.
“The national and international media have been very intrigued by the Shoalhaven’s link to the Royal couple through Alexander and David Berry.”
“Hopefully the positive global media coverage will continue as we further educate the world’s media to the unique characteristics and unspoiled beauty of the Shoalhaven.”
The Mayor said that invitations for the Royal Couple needed to be received by the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet by 28 January.
It is unclear as to when an official decision on the itinerary will be made however Buckingham Palace officials will be in Canberra next week to go over the 80 received invitations.