Council’s Sports Tourism Program providing economic injection
July 25, 2013
Shoalhaven City Council’s Sports Tourism Program continues to generate huge benefits for the local economy with the program responsible for over $2 million injected into the Shoalhaven so far this year.
Council, in partnerships with local sporting organisations and associations, has been able to secure a host of highly regarded State, National and International sporting events since the program’s inception in 2011.
In 2013 alone, the Shoalhaven will host over 5,000 competitors along with 10,000 partners, family and officials providing a huge boost to the local economy, mostly in traditional off peak periods.
Mayor, Joanna Gash said the Sports Tourism Program was a further example of Council working closely with the community for the betterment of the area.
“Commencing in 2011, the Sports Tourism Partner Program is forecasted to inject over $9.5 million into the local economy by 2016,” said Clr Gash.
“Through this period, Council has worked closely with local sporting groups and businesses to turn the Shoalhaven into one of the most desirable sporting locations in the State.
“The Shoalhaven is blessed with some of the most pristine natural environment in the Country along with a host of first class sporting facilities making the area the ideal destination for high quality events.”
“By targeting events in off peak periods and encouraging repeat visits, the program has been designed to provide ongoing benefit to the local community.”
The list of 2013 sporting events secured through the Sports Tourism Program includes -
• Makai Cup (Makai Paddlers Society)
• Taekwondo South Coast Open
• 2012 – 2016 Special Olympics
• Surf Lifesaving NSW IRB 2013
• Country Rugby League State Titles
• NSW Women’s Bowling Assoc. State Carnival
• AFL NSW/ACT Shoalhaven Inter League Carnival
• Cycling NSW, NSW Club Teams Time Trials
• Cycling NSW Shoalhaven Gran Fondo
• Football NSW Girls 12, 14, 16 Yrs Championships
• PGA Pro Am Legends Tour
• Huskisson Triathlon
Events secured for 2014 include -
• Surf Life Saving NSW Country Titles
• Swimming NSW Country Regional Meet
• Hobie 16 World Championships 2014 Jervis Bay
• Special Olympics NSW State Games
Mayor, Joanna Gash said that while the Sports Tourism Program provides benefit to the entire region, the scheme would not be possible without the support of local sporting organisations and businesses.
Business partners include-
• Bomaderry RSL ‘Sports Central’ as Platinum Partner
• Telstra – Gold Partner
• Shoalhaven Water – Gold Partner
• South Coast Register – Gold Partner
• Power Fm and 2ST – Gold Partner
• Holiday Haven – Supporting Partner
• Archer Resort – Supporting Partner