Step 1: Vacancy Advertisement
Once you find a vacancy on the Council career portal, or an external job board, you can find out more information about the vacancy by clicking ‘find out more’. Take the time to locate and read carefully the:
- Position Description – this outlines the nature of the work and describes the duties and responsibilities, qualifications and skills necessary for the job.
- Position Advertisement – provides an overall view of the role, the application closing date and contact person.
Step 2: Your Information
Before applying, please ensure you have an updated resume (CV). A resume is a mandatory document for every Council recruitment. To complete your application you will/ may be asked to provide:
- Resume: This is a summary of your education and work history, personal details and referees.
- Your contact details by following the initial prompts
- Your qualifications in the ‘Education’ section. This includes High school, TAFE and university qualifications.
- Your work experience by completing the ‘Work History’ section. This can include any relevant positions to the one you are applying for.
- Your References (not mandatory) by completing the ‘Referees’ Section. You will be asked for two (2) work related references. Again, this step is not mandatory.If you are progressed past the interview phase you will then be required to provide references.
- Your licences by completing the ‘Licences’ Section. In this area you need to outline if you have a Drivers licence, and any other required licence such as forklift, WHS White Card or Traffic Controller licences.
Step 3: Selection Criteria
In the body of the advertisement, you will be prompted on how Council would like you to address the selection criteria for the position. There are two (2) ways in which you may be asked to address criteria:
- You will be asked to address the selection criteria online by answering a set of 3 – 5 questions within the recruitment system that relate to the criteria of the position.
- You will be asked to write a cover letter, in which, you address the selection criteria. There will be an additional field to attach your cover letter, when your upload your resume.
Step 4: Confirmation & Application Submission
Once you have completed your application you will be able to submit it. Prior to this occurring, you will be asked to confirm your application. Once confirmed, the system will allow you to submit your application.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application. You will be notified if you are shortlisted for interview, or if you are unsuccessful.
Note: If you have failed to answer one of the mandatory questions, or fill in a mandatory stage of the recruitment process (i.e education, work history or licences), you will be unable to submit your application. You will be shown a red error bar asking you to complete the relevant question or section.
If you need further assistance, contact the Human Resources and Organisational Development Team on (02) 4429 3204 or firstname.lastname@example.org