Shoalhaven City Council actively supports people with disabilities and their carers. Following are some activities and initiatives occurring in the Shoalhaven:
- International Day of People with a Disability is celebrated each year on 3rd December.
- The Shoalhaven Disability Forum meets bi-monthly and discuss issues of relevance to service providers, consumers and the community.
- The Disability Services Directory provides information on a range of services for people with disabilities. The directory is updated and published on a regular basis.
- The Shoalhaven Access Advisory Committee provides feedback and advice to Shoalhaven City Council on issues relating to mobility and meets tri-monthly. A subcommittee is available to provide comment to Council in relation to building proposals between tri-monthly meetings.
Further information can be obtained by contacting Community Development Officer Ageing and Disabilities on (02) 4429 3411
Disability Inclusion Action Plan 2017-2021
Shoalhaven City Council's Disability Inclusion Action Plan 2017-2021 demonstrates Council's commitment to building an inclusive community to ensure that people with disability enjoy the same right to live their lives as they choose, enjoying the same opportunities and benefits of living and working in the Shoalhaven as everyone else. The plan was developed in consultation with people with disability and their supporters and services.
The plan outlines the steps Council aims to take over the next 4 years to support and improve the inclusion of people with a disability as part of its core business and to remove barriers to access and participation.
Disability Inclusion Action Plan 2017-2021
Access to Community Facilities
The MLAK is a master key that fits into specially designed locks allowing 24 hour a day access to public toilets. Eligible people - those with a disability and a letter of authorisation from a doctor - can purchase a key that opens all accessible toilets, and Liberty Swings displaying the MLAK symbol.
For information about where to obtain keys or locks within your area, contact the Master Locksmiths Association of Australia (phone 1800 810 698).
Register of toilets with MLAK access in NSW
Shoalhaven City Council has 10 beach wheelchairs available free of charge for beaches across the City.
The beach wheelchairs will provide and improve access to the beach for children and young people living with disability. The child and adult size all-terrain beach wheelchairs will ensure children, in particular aged 9-15 years, will have access to and are included in mainstream activities such as visiting the beach.
Learn more about Beach Wheelchairs
Liberty Swings are located at Harry Sawkins Park and Mollymook Oval.
The Liberty Swings are an Australian invention that enables people using wheelchairs to experience the fun and enjoyment of swinging.
These swings have become a popular activity with children and adults using both electric and manual chairs. Following the instructions carefully, it is safe and easy to use. The swings requires a carer to ensure that the chair is attached securely and can either be pushed by the carer or, depending on the dexterity of the user, can be manually operated.
You will need access to an MLAK key to open the gate. MLAK keys are located at Shoalhaven City Council reception Nowra, Nowra Tourist Information Centre, and Information/Kiosk shop at Mollymook Oval.
Ability Links NSW Coordinators, known as "Linkers", work closely for people with disability, their families and carers, aiming to support them to fulfil their goals, hopes and dreams. Linkers have strong local knowledge and work alongside communities, supporting them to be welcoming and inclusive.
Linkers can help you to:
- find ways to be a part of your local community
- set gails and plan for your future
- build confidence to achieve your dreams
- develop your existing support networks and create new networks
The Ability Links providers in the Shoalhaven are:
- Settlement Services International, 2/80 Park Road Nowra 2541 (02) 9685 0293
- Mission Australia, 8-9/133 Princes Highway Ulladulla 2538 0427 397 656
- Mission Australia, 71-77 Kembla Street Wollongong 2500 0427 397 656
- South Coast Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation (02) 4448 0200 www.southcoastams.org.au
- Cullhunghutti Aboriginal Child and Family Centre (Children 0-8 years old) (02) 4428 6900 www.cullunghutti.org.au
- Uniting Nowra (02) 8830 0768
Accessibility Guidelines (PDF 1MB)
Community Directory ( open in new window)
Where Can I Get Legal Help (PDF 211KB)
Disability Action Plan (PDF 263KB)
Increase Your Potiential Business (PDF 395 KB)
Shoalhaven Disability Services Booklet(PDF 342KB)
Shoalhaven Mental Health Booklet (PDF 437KB)
Shoalhaven Support Groups (PDF 278KB)
Inclusive Sports Directory- Illawarra and South Coast (PDF 1MB)
InfoCare Find & Compare Care Providers
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
The following links open in a new window:
National Disability Services
Ageing Disability and Home Care Department